How to avoid getting frittata all over your kitchen. Step one: butter your pan well. Step two: make sure the pan is nice and hot before putting any ingredients into it. Step three: once the base of your frittata is cooked sprinkle the top with cheese and place under a preheated grill to finish it off. This dispenses with the need to flip it, pancake-like, in the pan. Step four: having done all these things don’t mess it up at the final stage. Make sure you place a plate over the pan and simply upend the frittata onto the plate. Take extra care not to separate the plate and the pan until the frittata has transferred from the one to the other, otherwise you are likely to end up with egg and potato all over the floor.
Potato and spinach frittata
I am personally a big fan of the surprise cooked cheese which ends up on the bottom of this frittata once served. However, you can either serve the frittata right-way up so that the cheese is on top, or add the cheese once the frittata has been sliced and served.
5 small new potatoes
1 small white onion
Couple of handfuls of chopped spinach
2 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese
1. Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil. Slice the potatoes into thin (1cm thick) discs and boil for 10 minutes, until just tender.
2. Meanwhile fry the onion in a tablespoon of oil in an ovenproof skillet or frying pan until translucent. Add the potatoes and spinach to the pan.
3. In a jug whisk the eggs with the milk and salt and pepper. Pour this into the pan, over the potatoes and spinach and leave, undisturbed, over a medium-high heat for about 6-7 minutes, or until bubbles are visible on the surface of the frittata, and there is only a thin layer of liquid egg on top.
4. At this stage sprinkle the cheese over the top of the frittata and put it under a preheated grill for 2 minutes, or until the top is turning a fairly dark brown in colour and the cheese has completely melted.
5. Using oven gloves (I always forget the oven gloves when taking saucepans or frying pans out of the oven) remove the frittata from under the grill. Place a plate over the mouth of the pan and invert the frittata onto the plate. Slice and serve with more fresh spinach on the side.